Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Adventures In Hay




Yes the thermometer does read 115 degrees, which was slightly cooler than when I got home and the needle had maxed-out past 120 degrees. You know what's really great to do when it's that damn hot?


Stay indoors? No.


Go swimming? No.


Bale hay? Yes!


That's right, we baled hay in 115 degree heat. It was awesome. People thought we were crazy. Here is a sample conversation:


me: "We're going to bale hay tonight"


people: "That's crazy! You should wait!"


me: "Until when? It's ready now."


people: "Until it cools down!"


me: "You mean after it rains? Because then it's ruined."


At this point they would just shake their heads and walk away. I can't say as I blame them because I thought we were nuts, too. Thankfully we had a friend helping us. I had the easy job of driving the tractor; I can sit out in the heat all day long, it's only when I actually have to work that I really feel the effects. Art and our friend, on the other hand, had the labor intensive job of grabbing the 50 pound bales and stacking them on the wagon. We took several breaks and I made the boys get under the hose and drink water. We made it through with no sign of heatstroke.


There were about 230 bales and some of those will need to be fed right away because the hay wasn't completely dry. That's the hay from that back section that never, and I mean never, dries. One wagon is sitting in the shop (with 170ish bales on it) but the smaller load (60ish bales) will have to be put up in the barn tonight when I get home as it's supposed to rain tomorrow night. So that should be a fun way to pass the evening.


At least second cut is done, though, and third cut- usually in September- isn't usually as hot. Of course, it's never been this hot when we've done hay before so anything can happen, I suppose!

No comments: