Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Cattle Herd

Three weeks ago Art brought home the newest additions to our little cattle herd: seven black Angus-Holstein crosses.  He took them to the vet to have the horns burned off (I know it sounds terrible but it's for the best) and two of the steers castrated (I think there were two...maybe just one. I don't know, this isn't my deal). While the vet was working on them Art had him put numbered tags in each ear, so now I don't have to worry about naming them as they are all numbered 1 through 7.  




You can see how our herd is growing. The new calves are pretty cute but skittish and not all friendly. Art has been complaining recently how weird Charlie is- sometimes he will let you pet him but for the most part he shies away from the love.  Every time Art mentions this I do not hesitate to point out that he once had a cow who wanted nothing more than to be hugged and loved, but it was his (Art's) decision to send that cow to the slaughterhouse.  Sometimes I think I should just let it go but I just can't help myself.

I haven't named the new calves mostly because I can't tell them apart. Plus, thinking of seven new and clever names is difficult- it's much easier to call them by their number!

No comments: