Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Storm Damage

Monday morning a storm blew in, and while we didn't have near the damage other parts of Iowa did, there was some marring of my beautiful garden. Most of the sweet corn stalks were lying on the ground or on other plants. When I came home Monday night I just stood there wondering what I was going to do. I have tried and failed countless times to grow sweet corn but this year- this year!- was going to be different. Prior to the storm the stalks were growing tall and looking healthy. But I had Art pound in some steal fence posts and I strung wire down both sides of each row, top and bottom. Art didn't think I could save the rows, but even he was impressed with my work. I only had one stalk that was broken and the rest were intact if just a bit flattened. However, they are already coming into tassle- meaning that they will pollinate and start growing ears soon- and I'm hoping they will be ok. The stalks are only about four feet high which I think is a little short for tassle even if it is sweet corn (which is shorter than the corn you see in the fields).


If it doesn't turn out I hereby declare to never attempt to grow sweet corn again.

No comments: