Sunday, July 10, 2011

Small Town Americana

Last night Art and I went with some friends to the truck and tractor pull in Wyoming, IA. I had never been to a tractor pull before and I can honestly say I wasn't looking forward to it as I couldn't see the fun in watching trucks and tractors pull a heavy 'slider' (that's the technical term for the thing they are pulling) down a dirt track. It's very masculine; large, loud machines that billow smoke as they attempt to pull a longer, heavier machine- complete with weights and plow- farther than anyone else. Thank God for ear plugs! What I found interesting is that there are people who take these tractor pulls very seriously and there is even a circuit- a person could compete nationally if they (and their tractor) are good enough. I'm surprised environmental groups aren't protesting at every pull, considering the amount of smoke that is being emitted. One of the friends who took us told me that those trucks and tractors will use four or five gallons of fuel just to get down the track which is only about 400 feet.


It was much more entertaining that I had thought, though, but now that I've been to one I don't feel the need to go to another.


Because of the weight and power, many of the tractors' front end would lift as they went down the track


Some guys- usually the ones that were hardcore- had tractors with a roll cage, safety seat, seat belt and wore helmets and protective clothing.

No comments: