Sunday, July 17, 2011

First Harvest, Second Cut

It was another hot weekend- just how we like it. I spent most of Saturday in the garden doing some weeding (but not too much thanks to the thick layer of hay) and digging up the garlic. We got a pretty good harvest, too! I planted the Chinese Purple because it was the only varietly left. We haven't tried any yet, but I'm hoping to soon!


Art cut hay today- second cut. It's supposed to be nice for the next six days- so here's hoping! I went a few rounds with Art and I noticed that a lot of the alfalfa was turning yellow. Art told me it was because of the aphids- they eat the plant until it dies off. And here I thought how pretty it was with all the little butterflies around. Apparently this happens every year, I just haven't noticed it.

Art said he might just round bale it again (yes!) but he isn't sure yet. I'm sure we'll end up baling it ourselves, though, because the small squares are easier to feed than the big rounds. And since we don't have the storage space for round bales, we may as square bale it and store them in the barn.


If the weather stays this hot we should be able to bale by Wednesday. Hopefully it won't be too humid because it won't dry very well if it is.

No comments: